Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Week 1

Whew! We have made it through the first week of school! We are having a great time in second grade. We are learning new procedures and remembering old procedures. We are discovering our new room and getting to know each other. We are reviewing a lot of first grade material right now to get our brains geared up for learning in second grade.

A fun new procedure we are doing school wide is called Mustangs in Motion. We do stretches and structured movement. It is based on brain research and what the brain needs in order to learn. I do it with the students and I am amazed at the difference in myself and the kids! It makes me feel great and excited for the day. Even though it is only scheduled for two days a week, we do it every day in my class.

Homework is starting! I will try to be consistent in sending homework on Mondays through Thursdays. Friday homework will only be what they did not complete in class (which will hopefully not be very often). Friday spelling tests are starting this Friday. The list consists of words they need to know in second grade. The words are: second, grade, Berg (as in Mrs. Berg), Larsen (as in Miss Larsen), team, tickets, friend, spelling, writing, and art. Some of the words are hard so start establishing those great study habits!

Saturday September 11, 2010 there are signups for Caldwell Bowl Junior Bowler league from 11am to 4pm. The ages range from 7 years old up to 20. For more information call Caldwell Bowl at 459-3400.

IRI testing has started in second grade. Make sure your kids get off to the best start by getting a good night's sleep and a good breakfast. Breakfast is available for all students in the cafe` every morning from 7:50 to 8:10.

No school on Monday September 6th for Labor Day! If you are traveling, travel safe and I will see everyone back on Tuesday!

September 10th is spirit day so proudly show off those Mustang Shirts!

Reminder: Students are not allowed on the playground before 7:50 in the morning, please do not drop your kids off before this time, we do not have anyone available to watch over them until 7:50. The first bell does ring at 8:10 every morning, I know I am having a hard time getting used to this!

I am so excited to be working with this group of kids, they are so wonderful and we are going to have a GREAT year! I am offering a prize to the students who log on with their parents to view this blog...good luck everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Miss Larsen, it's me, Ben! I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Ben! Let's wait a few days and see if others can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Larsen,

    This is Cole and I was able to find your website.

    See you in class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this is Jeremiah! We love your blog. See you later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Miss Larsen, I found your blog it is so cool I wonder what you are cooking tomorrow.

    See you at school tomorrow.

    Love, Alex K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie has hounded me non-stop to log in....so here we are.

    ReplyDelete